Recipes for people with Parkinson’s
Mushroom & kidney bean pattie – Serves 2
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 2 large Portobello/Field mushrooms
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup of cooked kidney beans
- 1 small carrot, roughly chopped
- 1/4 medium onion, roughly chopped
- 1 bunch fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh chili (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 egg
- Salad to serve (sliced tomato, lettuce leaves)
- Peel and cut the sweet potato into battens or chips – 2cm x 8cm. Place on a baking tray with non-stick paper.
- Remove mushroom stalks, place on the same baking tray and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil.
- Roast in a 200ºC (392ºF) oven for 20 minutes, or until mushrooms and sweet potato are cooked.
- In a food processor combine kidney beans, carrot, onion, coriander, breadcrumbs and spices. Process to a rough paste. Transfer to a bowl and mix through the egg. Form into 2 patties.
- Fry the patties in extra virgin olive oil until warmed through and browned on the outside.
- To assemble, place the salad on the bottom of the plate, then the patty, your favourite sauce or chutney and top with the roasted mushroom.
- Serve with the sweet potato chips on the side
Estimated nutrition information per serving: 524 calories, 20.7 grams protein, 18.3 grams fat, 57 grams carbohydrate, 18.2 grams fibre, 483 mg sodium