Recipes for people with Parkinson’s
Lentil & Vegetable Penne pasta – Serves 6
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 small carrots, peeled, finely chopped
- 3 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly chopped
- 1 large brown onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 small red capsicum, finely chopped
- 10-12 button mushrooms, thinly chopped
- 225 grams cooked brown lentils
- 150 grams Passata
- 500 grams No added sugar pasta sauce
- 500 grams High fibre pasta – Penne
- Heat the extra virgin olive oil in a large heavy-based saucepan over medium heat.
- Add celery, carrot, onion, garlic and cook until just tender.
- Add lentils, capsicum and mushrooms and cook, until just tender.
- Add Passata and pasta sauce, bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to the boil over high heat. Add the penne pasta and cook, stirring often, for 10-12 mins or until tender. Drain.
- Divide penne among serving bowls. Spoon over the sauce. Serve.
Estimated nutrition information per serving: 434 calories, 15.7 grams protein, 6.8 grams fat, 68 grams carbohydrate, 12.2 grams fibre, 217 mg sodium.
For a lower carbohydrate option switch to edamame bean pasta. This brand contains 4 grams of carbohydrates per 100 grams – when made using the same amount of this pasta the estimated nutrition information per serving is 235 calories, 17.8 grams protein, 7.4 grams fat, 16.3 grams carbohydrate, 12.9 grams fibre, 216 mg sodium.